In the age of digital communication, finding a reliable and secure messaging platform is vital. Telegram, a widely popular messaging app, combines robust security features with a rich set of functionalities, making it an excellent choice for personal and professional communication. In this introduction, we’ll delve into the key features and benefits of Telegram and conclude with a guide on installing the Telegram Desktop Client on Manjaro Linux.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Privacy and Security: Telegram employs end-to-end encryption for Secret Chats and client-server encryption for all data, ensuring the security and privacy of your conversations.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: Telegram is available for multiple platforms, including Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux, providing a seamless experience across different devices.
- Fast and Reliable: With its advanced data compression and distributed server infrastructure, Telegram delivers messages quickly and reliably, even in areas with low connectivity.
- Groups and Channels: Telegram allows users to create groups with up to 200,000 members and broadcast channels for sharing messages with an unlimited audience.
- File Sharing: The platform supports sharing files of any type, with a generous size limit of 2 GB per file.
- Voice and Video Calls: Telegram offers encrypted voice and video calls, ensuring secure and high-quality communication.
- Bots and Automation: With its built-in bot functionality, Telegram allows users to create and use custom bots to automate tasks and enhance the messaging experience.
- Customizable and Ad-Free: Telegram boasts a highly customizable interface and is ad-free, offering a clean and personalized user experience.
Table of Contents
Step 1: Update Manjaro Linux
Before beginning this tutorial, please ensure your computer has been updated with all available package upgrades to avoid potential issues and for good system maintenance.
sudo pacman -Syu
Sometimes, you may need a full database dump if you haven’t updated your Manjaro system for some time; use this command if the “pacman -Syu” command fails.
sudo pacman -Syyu
Method 1: Install Telegram with Pacman
The first method is to use Pacman to install Telegram. Run the following command in your terminal.
sudo pacman -S telegram-desktop
Use the following method for those who want to use Manjaro’s version or the AUR. Personally, there is no extra benefit for most cases to use Method 2 as Telegram usually is updated quickly on Arch Linux-based systems. Still, it is an excellent backup in case the maintainer goes AWOL.
Method 2: Install Telegram with Pamac
Situational – Enable AUR for ‘pamac.’
First, by default, AUR is disabled. You will first need to enable it, which you can do with the following command.
sudo sed -Ei '/EnableAUR/s/^#//' /etc/pamac.conf
Run Telegram installation commands
Now that you have enabled the AUR. Run the following command that will build or install Telegram on your system.
pamac build telegram-desktop-bin
The process should not take more than a minute or two at max. Once done, you can move on to launching the application.
How to Launch Telegram
Once you’ve installed the app, you can run it through the command line interface by typing ‘telegram’ in your command line terminal.
Telegram Desktop, for most desktops, can be easily opened without a command line terminal. The easiest way to do this is to follow the instructions provided here.
Taskbar > Internet > Telegram Desktop.
Sign in with your phone and join conversations and chat rooms.
Congrats, you have successfully installed Telegram.
Getting Started with Telegram Messenger
Once you have installed the Telegram Desktop Client on your Manjaro Linux system, it’s time to explore its rich features and make the most of your messaging experience. This section will cover some essential tips, customizations, and general guidance to help you get started with the Telegram Client on Manjaro Desktop.
- Setting Up Your Account: After launching the Telegram Client, sign up with your phone number, and follow the on-screen instructions to set up your account. You can customize your profile by adding a profile picture, changing your username, and setting a bio.
- Managing Chats: To start a new chat, click on the “New Chat” icon and search for a contact or group by entering their name or username. You can pin important chats to the top, archive inactive chats, or mute notifications for specific chats to declutter your chat list.
- Creating Groups and Channels: To create a group or channel, click on the “Hamburger” menu in the top-left corner and choose “New Group” or “New Channel.” Follow the prompts to set up the name, description, and privacy settings.
- Changing the Theme: Telegram offers various built-in themes to personalize your messaging experience. Go to “Settings” > “Chat Settings” > “Choose a theme” to select a theme that suits your preference.
- Customizing Notifications: To tailor your notification settings, navigate to “Settings” > “Notifications” and adjust the settings for message alerts, group notifications, and call notifications.
- Managing Privacy and Security: To configure your privacy and security settings, go to “Settings” > “Privacy and Security.” Here, you can manage who can see your phone number, last seen status, profile photo, and more. You can also enable two-step verification for added account security.
- Using Stickers and GIFs: Telegram offers a vast library of stickers and GIFs to enhance your conversations. Click on the “Emoji” icon in the chat input field to access and search for stickers and GIFs. You can also create custom sticker packs and upload your GIFs.
- Voice and Video Calls: To make a voice or video call, open a chat with the desired contact and click on the phone or camera icon in the top-right corner. You can also create group voice chats by clicking on the “Hamburger” menu and selecting “New Voice Chat.”
- Using Bots: Telegram bots can help automate tasks and enrich your messaging experience. To find and add a bot, use the search bar to search for the bot’s username and click “Start” to begin interacting with it.
With these tips and customizations, you can optimize your Telegram Client experience on Manjaro Desktop and enjoy a secure, feature-rich, personalized messaging platform.
Additional Commands & Tips
How to Update Telegram
Depending on your installation method, you can update Telegram with cli using one of the package managers used to install it.
Update Telegram – Pacman Method
As demonstrated at the start of the tutorial, you can run a quick update check with Pacman in most cases using the following command.
sudo pacman -Syu
For troubleshooting, visit the start of the tutorial.
Update Telegram – Pamac Method
Next, run the following commands to ensure that updates are being processed on your system. This will, of course, update Telegram if an update exists.
sudo pamac checkupdates -a
sudo pamac upgrade -a
Note it is advised to run terminal commands now and then, even if you have set up AUR auto-updates using the automatic GUI updater; this ensures you are not missing anything.
How to Remove (Uninstall) Telegram
Remove Telegram – Pacman Method
First, use the following command for those that just installed the Telegram client using the standard repository.
sudo pacman -R telegram
Those who used Manjaro’s package manager and the AUR use the following method.
Remove Telegram – Manjaro Package Manager Method
Run the following Terminal Command For Users Wanting To Remove The Software.
pamac remove telegram
Finally, for those who enabled the AUR with Manjaro’s package manager and later decided against using it and instead wanted another option, you can easily remove or disable the AUR using this command.
sudo sed -Ei '/EnableAUR/s/^/#/' /etc/pamac.conf
In summary, Telegram is a powerful messaging platform that offers many features and strong security measures, making it an excellent choice for communication on Manjaro Linux. Installing the Telegram Desktop Client on your system allows you to take advantage of its capabilities, customizations, and seamless cross-platform compatibility. As you explore and tailor the Telegram experience to your needs, you’ll find it an indispensable tool for personal and professional communication.