As a Manjaro Linux user, you’re already experiencing the benefits of a fast, user-friendly, and customizable operating system. But to enhance your audio experience further, consider installing Audacious, a powerful and feature-rich audio player. Designed for seamless integration with Manjaro Linux, Audacious offers an appealing combination of simplicity, functionality, and customization options. In this introduction, we’ll explore the main advantages of using Audacious and why it’s the go-to choice for many Manjaro Linux users.
Key Features of Audacious:
- Lightweight & Efficient: Audacious is designed to consume minimal system resources, ensuring smooth performance without overburdening your computer. This lightweight nature makes it ideal for older systems or those with limited hardware capabilities.
- Customizable Interface: Choose between a modern GTK-based interface or a classic Winamp-like interface, depending on your preference. Additionally, Audacious supports various skins and plugins, enabling you to personalize your audio player to your liking.
- Wide Range of Supported Formats: Audacious boasts compatibility with various audio formats, including MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, WMA, and many others. This ensures that you can play virtually any audio file without the need for additional codecs or plugins.
- Playlist Management: Use Audacious’s simple and intuitive drag-and-drop functionality to create and manage playlists easily. You can also import and export playlists in formats like M3U, PLS, and XSPF.
- Gapless Playback & ReplayGain: Audacious offers gapless playback, allowing you to enjoy your music without pauses or interruptions between tracks. Additionally, the ReplayGain feature ensures consistent volume levels across your entire music library.
- Advanced Audio Effects: Enhance your listening experience with Audacious’ built-in equalizer and various audio effects, such as crossfade, reverb, and pitch control. You can also add more effects through the use of plugins.
- Global Hotkeys & Desktop Integration: Control playback using customizable global hotkeys, even when Audacious is minimized or hidden. This enables seamless integration with your Manjaro Linux desktop environment.
With its rich feature set and adaptability, Audacious is an excellent choice for Manjaro Linux users seeking a high-quality audio player. Audacious can elevate your audio experience to new heights, whether you’re a casual listener or an audiophile. Ready to get started? The following guide will demonstrate how to install Audacious on Manjaro Linux using the Arch Linux User Repository and command line terminal.
Table of Contents
Step 1: Update Manjaro
First, update your system to ensure all existing packages are up to date. This will ensure no conflicts arise as best as possible during the installation.
sudo pacman -Syu
Sometimes, you may need a complete database download if you have not upgraded your Arch Linux system for a while; use the following command if the above update command does not work.
sudo pacman -Syyu
Step 2: Install Audacious on Manjaro
The best and easiest way to install Audacious is using the following command that will auto-install Audacious from the standard repository.
sudo pamac install audacious
Step 3: Launch the Audacious Player on Manjaro
Now that you have the application installed, launching can be done in a few ways.
Additionally, you can launch from the applications menu by following the path.
Taskbar > Multimedia > Audacious
Once open, you can begin loading and using the audio player.
Getting Started with Audacious on Manjaro
Once you’ve installed Audacious on your Manjaro Linux system, it’s time to explore its various features and customization options. This section will provide helpful tips and tricks to enhance your audio experience and make the most out of Audacious.
1. Customizing the Interface
Audacious offers two distinct interface styles to suit your preferences:
- GTK Interface: A modern, clean design that aligns with the Manjaro Linux aesthetic.
- Winamp Interface: A classic, nostalgia-inducing interface reminiscent of the popular Winamp player.
To switch between the two interfaces, go to the main menu and select Preferences, then Interface. From there, you can choose your preferred style.
2. Personalizing with Skins and Plugins
Make Audacious truly your own by customizing its appearance and functionality:
- Skins: Browse and download various skins for the GTK and Winamp interfaces. To install a new skin, place the downloaded skin files in the
- Plugins: Extend Audacious’ capabilities with various plugins, including visualizations, audio effects, and input/output options. To manage your plugins, go to Preferences and select the Plugins tab.
3. Mastering Playlist Management
Efficiently manage your music library with Audacious’ playlist features:
- Creating Playlists: Press
Ctrl+Nto create a new playlist. Alternatively, you can right-click on the playlist tab area and select New Playlist.
- Adding Tracks: Drag and drop files directly into the playlist or use the Add Files option from the main menu.
- Sorting Tracks: Right-click on the playlist and choose Sort By to organize your tracks by title, artist, album, or other criteria.
- Saving and Loading Playlists: Save your playlists in various formats, such as M3U, PLS, or XSPF. Select the appropriate option from the main menu or right-click on the playlist tab to save or load a playlist.
4. Enhancing Audio Playback
Audacious provides several tools to optimize your listening experience:
- Equalizer: Adjust the frequency bands to tailor the sound to your liking. To access the equalizer, go to View > Equalizer or press
- Audio Effects: Add crossfade, reverb, pitch control, and other effects using the Effects tab in the Plugins section of the Preferences menu.
- ReplayGain: Ensure consistent volume levels across your music library by enabling ReplayGain. This can be found under the Playback tab in the Preferences menu.
By exploring these features and customizations, you can tailor Audacious to your unique preferences and enjoy an unparalleled audio experience on Manjaro Linux. Happy listening!
Additional Commands & Tips
How to Update Audacious
The best way to check for updates and upgrade Audacious is to use the following command.
sudo pamac checkupdates -a
sudo pamac upgrade -a
How to Remove (Uninstall) Audacious
When you no longer want the Audacious application installed on your system, use the following command to remove it.
pamac remove audacious
In conclusion, installing Audacious on your Manjaro Linux system provides a feature-rich and customizable audio player that enhances your overall music experience. Its lightweight design, wide format compatibility, advanced audio effects, and extensive customization options make Audacious a top choice for Manjaro Linux users.
Additional Resources and Links
To further explore Audacious and make the most of its features, check out the following official resources:
- Official Audacious Website: The official homepage for the Audacious project, where you can find the latest news, updates, and download links.
- Audacious GitHub Repository: The source code repository for Audacious, where you can find the latest development updates and contribute to the project.
- Audacious Plugins Repository: The repository for official Audacious plugins allows you to explore and extend the player’s capabilities.
- Manjaro Linux Official Website: The official Manjaro Linux homepage, where you can find resources, updates, and support for your Manjaro Linux system.